« Home | (24AUN) Origins Episode I: The Phantom Beginnings » | (24AUN) Status 9/28 » | (24AUN) Format info » | (24AUN) Preview #2 » | (24AUN) Weekend » | (24AUN) Status 9/23 » | (24AUN) Preview #1 » | (24AUN) Status 9/21 » | (24AUN) What is 24: Altered Universe? »

(24AUN) Origins Episode II: Attack of the Ideas

Okay, so now you know basically how I became a 24 fan--the history right up through 2002. Now we come to January 2003, but I need to give you a little more background first.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I have been since long before I was ever a 24 fan, and I will be for long after. Therefore, it stands to reason that a massive 24-related project of mine would also have ties to Star Wars.
During the years between the release of the films Episode II: Attack of the Clones and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, Lucasfilm, in association with Dark Horse Comics, put out three series of comics that were "off the beaten path," shall we say. These are called Infinities. Specifically, Infinities: A New Hope, Infinities: The Empire Strikes Back, and Infinities: Return of the Jedi. These series take one plot point from the movies and alter it, showing a kind of "what if?" scenario within the Star Wars universe. I first discovered them in late 2002/early 2003, and I was hooked. I:ANH changes the end of the original film--showing what would happen if Luke's proton torpedoes did not destroy the Death Star. It's a very well done series--if unusual at times. I:ESB is a worse series, because I noticed that they began altering things in the story that WOULD NOT have been affected by the storyline change (in this case, Luke dies on Hoth). This bothered me immensely, and it's a rule I tried very hard to stick to with AU. Only events that would have been effected by the change are. Either way, I:ANH put the idea into my head of changing an event in a major existing timeline.

Back to 24. In late January 2003, FOX produced an "official" (yeah, real official!) book, called 24: The House Special Subcommittee's Findings at CTU. It's a work of fiction that follows a Congressional hearing on the events of the first season, and in one part, Jack Bauer is discussing the portion of the day where he shot Nina, and wonders what would have happened if he hadn't saved her--would Teri still be alive? When I read that, a lightbulb clicked on in my head. I have GOT to do that!

Unfortunately, at the time I was rather busy with my senior year of high school, a new job, and a major story that I had to write for one of my classes. Although the ideas percolated in my head, 24:AU would have to wait.

Sometime during the summer of 2003, I gave it a shot to start writing 24:AU. I got a few notes here and there, a few extremely basic outlines, but nothing serious at all. In Fall of 2003, I about gave up on it. You see, my original plan was to write it as a novel and write all 24 episode of the first season, and every episode that followed. Ambitious little thing, wasn't I? Well, I realized exactly how much writing that meant, and I just about gave up. 24:AU was a dream that would never become a reality.