« Home | (24AUN) Status 9/21 » | (24AUN) What is 24: Altered Universe? »

(24AUN) Preview #1

The following is a preview of one scene of 24: Altered Universe.

After Jack and Nina go missing in the morning, Tony calls Mason to take charge of CTU, but Mason is defending Jack rather than hunting him down. In this scene, Tony has entered Jack's office, where Mason has set himself up.

Mason: I don’t remember calling you up.

Tony: Look, you can cover it up in front of everyone else out there, but I know what’s been going on today. I know that there’s something else going on with you and Jack. Why are you covering for him?

Mason: I told you before. I have some information that might change things.

Tony: What is it?

Mason: Tony, do I need to remind you who’s the superior here? I do not need to explain myself to you.

Tony: I think in this case, you might have to. Come on, George. You don’t fool me. You don’t care about procedure any more than Jack does as long as you can cover your own ass. How does helping a potentially rogue agent help you?

(Mason sighs, frustrated)

Mason: If I tell you, will you get out of my office?

(Tony pauses)

Tony: Yeah. Okay.

Mason: Fine. Let’s just say that the loss of Nina Myers may not be as detrimental to CTU as you would think.

Tony: What do you mean?

Mason: I mean that Jack gave me some information earlier today that makes this whole thing look very bad for Nina. If Jack’s doing what I think he’s doing, then we need to give him all the support we can, instead of sending everybody down his back.

Tony: Are you saying that Nina was working against us?

Mason: All I’m saying is that we could give Jack the benefit of a doubt in this case. Whatever your feelings toward Nina might be.

(Tony bristles at that, but says nothing about it)

Tony: He’s not making it easy, by staying out of contact.

Mason: Look at it from his perspective. He had to know that someone would catch him on tape, and it would look pretty bad for him. Hell, you called me in because of it. We will find him, and he will be able to explain this.

Tony: What if he can’t? What if he really is working against us?

Mason: You know him as well as I do. You tell me.